Wednesday, July 01, 2009

The Old Man Snoring

It has been raining and pouring for weeks! And the 10 day forecast doesn't seem to show signs of relief from the strange display of mildew growing, mosquito multiplying, boredom inducing weather.

I am quickly running out of indoor activities to do with the girls. We have used up the following:

-3 glitter glue sticks
-4 painting canvases
-1/3 to 1/2 of the large bottles of tempura paint in blue, pink, red, white, black, green, orange, yellow and purple (what can I say, we have been painting A LOT)
-6 batches (yes 6, I told you we were bored) of muffin supplies
-dozens of Kumon book pages
-2 coloring books worth of color pages
-one 10 pack of roll out crayons
-one pack of 10 markers
-1/2 a pack of colored feathers
-1/2 a pack of colored puffy balls
-lots of glue and paste
-TONS of "scratch paper"
-4 pairs of men's socks (needed for pretending to be ice skating doggies on the kitchen floor)

Any ideas that you have to pass time inside when pretending, playing with toys, and watching movies just aren't cutting it anymore? Oh, and I should say ideas for a VERY limited budget. Since, yes, it would be fun to drive down to Florida and enjoy the sunshine, or fly to WA and visit family and friends (and maybe get some vitamin D), but we just can't manage that right now :-)

(Note: I really am needing suggestions, since I just let my two year old put baby oil all over her hair and body, simply because it kept her busy and wasn't dangerous).
So, in conclusion, if you have sunlight where you are today, then please enjoy the blessings of the outdoors today, and think of us... stuck inside...in JULY!

4 comments:

Krista said...

I don't know how many of these are for indoor fun, but this Works For Me Wednesday edition focuses on beating summer boredom.
http://www.wearethatfamily.com/2009/06/wfmw-mom-im-bored-summer-edition.html
Also, I don't know if you have a lot of room, but the kids I watch enjoy relay games, especially one where I filled two bowls with cotton balls, and hid 6 marbles in each bowl. The kids had to run and find each marble one by one and put it in a cup. They also liked racing back and forth pretending to be different animals (snakes, butterflies, turtles) of course, this depends on your rules of running in the house :) They also loved playing hide and find the object in the room. In fact, they would have played that every time we met if I let them.

Hope this helps! I am enjoying the sun and heat a lot more after reading your post.

Jeana said...

Oh, I feel your pain! Not today but I've been there cooped up in the house with little children. I love the idea of playing ice skating doggies. :) Have you taken a puddle jumping walk? What about making up a ballet with your pretty play silks? Bean bag games? Bean (or rice, barley, corn, whatever) bags are easy to make and you can do tons of things with them. Hide them and have the girls find them. Stack them and knock down the towers. Create obstacle courses, toss them into bowls or buckets, make dolly beds, etc. Do you have any stamp pads? You could do thumb print art. Or you could even just use markers. And my last idea is to get some cheap large beads and have them make necklaces or bracelets or whatever on yarn. Talk about patterns and colors. Or cut some shapes out of old cereal boxes and punch holes along the side to make lacing cards. They can pretend to sew and then decorate the insides of their projects with stickers and glitter and stuff. Amazing that I have all these ideas now...when I don't need them. Of course, on the next rainy day I'll be pulling my hair out trying to think of something besides watching movies! Good luck!

steph said...

Wow! Thanks ladies, that gives me some really good ideas, and reminded me that I do have some foam stamps! And I have material and can buy some beans or rice! Woohoo! We should be good for at least a day or two :-)

Krista said...

Oh, these are super cute too.

http://www.familycorner.com/family/kids/crafts/coffee-filter-flower-fireworks.shtml