Today I found out that one of the sweetest, most creative women on this Earth, my Great-Auntie Edith, passed away. Her body couldn't keep up with the beautiful soul it was a vessel to for over 90-something years. She, to the best of my knowledge, knew and loved the LORD well, and now is enjoying the beauty of being in His presence. At the dinner table we prayed for our family members as we mourn her death. This led to a discussion later in the evening that went something like this:
Lizzie: Where did Great-Aunt Edith go?
Allen and I: She believed in Jesus/God and loved Him, so she went to heaven.
Lizzie: Who is heaven?
Me: No Honey, heaven is a place where God and Jesus live.
Allen: Heaven is Jesus' home...
Lizzie (face lighting up): Ooo! Can we die too?!
Allen and I (chuckling at this point, trying to maintain some form of composure): Well, um, yes, we all die some day, but God decides when. So, when it's our turn, yes we can die. When we die, if we believe in Jesus and that He died for the bad things we've done, then we can go to heaven.
So not quite what we were shooting for, but don't worry, I went on to explain that God decided it was Auntie Edith's turn and that Auntie Edith died because her body was having a hard time working since she was an older woman. I think she got it, but it was a tough conversation, with moments of laughter and moments of extreme seriousness, trying to explain such difficult concepts to such a sweet little girl can really challenge your creativity skills.
Hopefully I did Aunt Edee proud with my simplistic explanations. She was always so creative.
No comments:
Post a Comment