Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Americans

I voted AT the POLLS today for the first time ever.

Being from Washington, where the absentee ballot is for anyone and everyone (with few exceptions), I have always voted days and even weeks before the 4th. Ashamedly I am not even sure that, before this year, I would have been able to say with certainty when election day was. I just didn't need to know, except to see how things went.

It was fun for me to take the girls in and vote. I tried to explain as simply as possible what voting was, and why, but really I don't think they get it yet. My closest attempt was to explain that we were voting for president, a person that was like a king (since my girls get the concept of a king from the princess connections). I also tried to explain the huge importance of voting, but since Lizzie's idea of a king was someone who dresses nice, and gets to go to fancy events, that didn't sink in very well.

Oh well, maybe in 4 years we will try to explain it all again, with a little more success :-)

No comments: