Saturday, August 09, 2008

Why Not?

So last night I was feeling particularly frustrated with the world of merchandise and all things marketed.

Frustrations like, why don't they have a hybrid minivan, but they have hybrid SUVs? Do families with kids not want to conserve and save on gas too?

I interrupt this post to warn you that the following comments are for women only.

I repeat, women only.

I cannot be held responsible for making any gentlemen feel awkward.

You have been warned.

...

...

...

...

Anyhow, the biggest frustration of all was with the bra industry. The only lament I have about having another little one, is the nursing bra frustration.
I cannot for the life of me find nursing bras that make it through even one child, much less 2, 3, or 4!
Why do companies like Victoria Secret not create a good nursing bra? They could even call it the Mommy Line. I hate that my options are $60 bras online (that I have to hope fit) or $15-30 bras from a maternity store, that will need to be replaced in a few months time.
Do any of you experienced mommies out there, have a better source for a good quality, but not outrageously expensive, nursing bra? If so, please let me know in the next few months, so that I can look into it before I have to get desperate and go with one of my other options.

9 comments:

Sarah said...

i really like the medela comfort fit bras...you can get them cheapest at beverly hospital's breastfeeding boutique. it's important to make sure you have the right band size. once you do--the girls are happily supported. :)

Holly said...

I'm so glad you asked this question. I need all the help I can get and I was just wondering about this. Why is maternity stuff so expensive???

Anonymous said...

I remember having this same problem, but sadly, I have no good advice for you. :-(

I also despised shopping for nursing clothes because they always seemed frumpy or very unattractive to me.

steph said...

Thanks Sarahs for your thoughts. And Holly, hopefully the results of this post will be fruitful for both of us:)

Jeana said...

I actually really liked Target's brand of nursing bras. They only cost about $15 and were comfortable and supportive. But I doubt they would last through more than one kid.

Another nursing clothes tip is to get a bunch of inexspensive stretch camisoles (like from Old Navy where if you find them on sale are about $3 each) and cut the straps off them or wear them under your bra with the top of the cami under your breasts. Now any shirt has been turned into a nursing top. When you lift your shirt to nurse, your belly and back will still be nicely covered up and when your shirt is down it simply looks like you are sporting the layered look.

steph said...

Wow! Inventive Jeana. I will definitely be going to Old Navy for some camis!

steph said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mandy said...

can't help ya there... but i'm sure i'll be needing some advice when it's my turn!

Molly said...

I exchanged a pair of Danskos I received as a Christmas present last year for two expensive nursing bras that I knew I would need more. It was pretty depressing. (Oh, and don't tell my mother-in-law who bought the shoes for me!) Besides those, I still have two from nursing Natasha, though Adam says I really need to throw them away. I like Jeana's idea, though I'm not sure I'm coordinated enough to figure it out.