Thursday, April 10, 2008

Shhhhhh, Don't Tell Anyone...

But, I think I am a little homesick.

Honestly, it doesn't happen often. I don't mind being far from home and way out of my comfort zone. It is always tough and challenging in many ways to go to a new place where you don't know anyone and try to start all over, but being uncomfortable makes it so much easier to be moldable.

God has taught me a lot in being in New England (for a year now this June). And He has provided many great friends for me to listen to and share with, but sometimes I miss my old life, and old friends. This week, more than others I have wished I had a friend from back home to sit and talk with for hour upon hour, just because. Nothing is wrong or stressful , or anything like that. In fact, things are quite even keel, which is probably why I miss my friends so much. I have actually had time to think about something more than what I have to do for the week, day or even hour.

I miss friends who I can talk to about anything and everything, without wondering if I stuck my foot in my mouth. I miss going to the cabin with my girl friends ( I love you ladies, Audrey, Jenn, Lisa and Sherah) and drinking tea while we talked for far, far too long about deep things, about silly things, and about us things. I miss having friends around that I have known so long that they just know the right thing to say/do when I need it. I miss knowing the right things to say and do to love my sisters. I miss being able to encourage my friends in ways that they need it most. I miss birthday meals together where we chat until one of our husbands calls wondering why dinner is taking multiple hours.

I miss spending an entire evening, and into the morning hours talking with the Brewsters about life and dreams and more until someone finally gives in and admits being too tired to function anymore. I miss feeling like family, more than just knowing we are family in Him. I miss trips to the Oregon Zoo, where you just can't see everything.

I miss watching my friends' families grow in size and watching them grow in Him as a result. I miss being there to give hugs, or jump up and down rejoicing together. I miss going months without seeing someone and then getting together every weekend for a month or two, just to get caught up.

I miss my sister (love ya Lissa) and hearing about single life and what God is doing in hers, and getting to see her face as she says things with her facial expressions that can't be communicated over the phone or in an email or letter. I miss going to coffee or lunch or shopping for the next birthday we have or Christmas gift we can't seem to figure out (usually Mom, love you Mom). I miss family gatherings, and laughing together about things from when we were little, or the quirkinesses of Dad and Mom.

I miss my brother. I miss knowing how to pray for him best, that only spending time with him would reveal.

I miss visits from the mom's where I get to share the latest in what the girls are learning to do/say/not do... and watch the girls bond with their grandmothers as only grandchildren can. I miss watching the grandfathers morph into these strange puddles whenever they see the girls, making me instantly want to film them to laugh later when the girls are older, and past "that age".

I miss being in a place where everything is green, from the landscape to the practices of the majority of the people. I miss the rain and the smell that it sends out just before it comes, and just after it leaves. I miss being around a people that don't believe in umbrellas, but hoods, or just getting wet. I miss polite drivers being more common than rude ones, and roadways that make sense. I miss having to specify which Starbucks I am meeting someone at by saying things like "the one on the south end of the parking lot, not the north".

I miss...

...home.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK Steph. You made me cry. I want you to know that Dad and I greatly miss all of you. We love you dearly and are anxious for when we see you again.

Maria said...

Dang girl I cried too! And I hate to tell you after being gone for 13years...doesn't get easier. But I am always here for you..day or night. It's kinda easier now that we are in the same time zone! Love ya babe!

Sarah said...

i'll admit i cried too--it's hard to be away from the PNW and all that comes along with it.

steph said...

Thanks guys. I know long posts aren't always people's favorites to read through, so it means a lot that you all took the time to listen and hear what I was feeling. One up note, we are suppose to get some rain around here, yeah!

Carolyn said...

I hear ya Steph.

It has gotten easier over time for me to be away from home. But there's still nothing quite like the Pacific Northwest. And you can never replace an old friend.

sigh.

"Luke", "Princess Leia", and "Han Solo" said...

Okay, so I'm a little late in the game... but you made me cry too... my kids are looking at me like I'm crazy!

We miss you guys terribly and mention how we wish you were here to go out to Jerusalem Cafe or Marrakesh with us, to play Settlers or Ticket to Ride, to have impromptu picnics on the church lawn, to go blueberry picking at Hood River..... you get the idea... we miss you! (and we love you too!)

steph said...

Thanks Carolyn, I m glad to hear that it gets easier.
And Mel, I kind of like getting late comments. It is fun to know people are reading things I write beyond the 1st or 2nd day I wrote them. We miss you all. And soon summer will be here and we won't be able to go to Hood River and let our kids eat blueberries for lunch, while we fill our buckets :-(
I love you all!

Anonymous said...

Okay...I am even later in the loop for this email than Mel was. I looked at the date you posted it and realized how well God listens and answers our paryers.... :o) ...for only 3 days later did Sherah and I knock on your door! It was an answer to my prayers as well. I needed a vacation and time with a real good friend. I got both the moment I walked into your apartment! Love you!